Friday, June 15, 2007

Hair today, Gong (bu) tomorrow

I got my hair cut a few weeks ago for the first time in almost ten (!) months, and as a result, I have quite a few shorter strands of hair towards the top of my scalp that are too short to bundle up in my hair elastic. So for the past few classes for which I've actually made it, I've been slightly distracted by the stray hairs constantly flopping in my face. I'd brush them back and tuck them behind my ears after each time down the carpet, only for them to dislodge themselves with each powerful kick (har har) and end up back in front of my eyes, or worse yet, in my mouth. And lemme tell you, Shaolin hair don't taste so good sometimes.

Yesterday during class, Niederwelt noticed my predicament and presented me with a simple solution -- a bobby pin to clip down those shorter strands to the top of my head. It's not the first time she has been a hair rescuer at Temple -- she provided John Sid with an elastic to tie up his hair a few months ago. So I used the bobby pin and felt like a burden had been lifted from my shoulders...or, um, my face. I felt freer and faster and practiced my forms without worrying whether I would whip myself with my hair. So awesome! Amituofo, Niederwelt!

4 comments:

  1. well it's a plight i understand sincerely! i feel i spent a tremendous amount of time trying to figure out what to do with this hair while training. so many factors. glad i could help! more chi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you've gotta chop it all off!

    baby...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same trouble with my hair and it being in my face. I have alot of orphan hairs! I can't stand where I can't get that one strand of hair out of my face. :) I've been wanting to shave it all off. But never had the guts to.

    ReplyDelete