Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Soak it up!

So not much new to report. My Shaolin sword pain continues to subside. I am still being careful by staying towards the back of the line, but last night I was at least able to do some decent caijiaos, cetituis and even a few pubus, albeit slowly, on my bad side. During stretching, I am still solo-ing it and working through my injury, so I think what I've been doing over the last few weeks by not rushing it and testing my injured leg too soon is exactly what I needed. I am impatient to get back to where I was before, but I realize that it's especially important to take my time with this kind of injury lest I set myself back even more.

At the end of class, Shifu had us line up and do mabu-gongbu. He urged us to go lower and reminded us to lock our knees and not bend our leg during gongbu. Then, apparently dissatisfied with some of our gongbus, he said something to the effect of You don't lock your knee! Do I have to call you by name?! Don't bend your leg!

I don't know about you, but I automatically assumed he meant me, and tried to straighten my leg even more. I wonder how many of us had that same reaction. I guess the point is, do we need Shifu to call us out specifically, or shouldn't we all always make a concerted effort to train harder? Similarly, when he has a pointer for another student, I try to listen and see if I can and apply it to myself. Trying to be like a sponge and absorbing all that I can...

2 comments:

  1. I actually thought he yelled at me because I got it with Gongbu once before...

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know i thought he was talking to me! quan tuo was telling me that most people do mabu wrong so i was trying to do it right & yet go lower so i was more focused on that than the gongbu so when sifu said i that, i thought: yikes!

    ReplyDelete